When you need to learn more about coworking, communities & collaboration, you start to notice that it’s difficult find signal amongst the noise. There’s a lot of punditry and opinion among a mixed set of industries, from marketing & social media, to online and offline communities, to civic & economic growth, to urban development & more. It’s a mess!
Instead of having to stumble around in the dark, I’ve long wished for a place to go to find essays, books, videos, and even academic source about community building, design thinking, collaboration, business, & leadership.
Below is my version of resource that I’ve compiled for myself over the years, which I’m happy to share with you for free.
Annie Lin, Global Education Program Manager at the Wikimedia Foundation
“A lot of what I do is building, managing, and empowering both online and ofﬂine communities across different countries. Alex’s resources have been full of useful ideas and best practices. Across the board what I found really useful is how grounded they are in real experiences.”
Essays and Blog Posts
Business & Marketing
- When coworking spaces fail, Live & Uncut (Alex Hillman)
- Most Popular How To Fund Your Coworking Space (Alex Hillman)
- Most Popular How Much Does It Cost To Start A Coworking Space (Alex Hillman)
- The Virtues of Indy Hall (Alex Hillman)
- A case against “Free Trial Coworking” (Alex Hillman)
- All We Need is Your Support…(how NOT to crowdfund) (Seth Godin)
- Purpose Replaces Marketing (Nilofer Merchant)
- How to Start a Coworking Space in Your Small Town (Joel Bennett)
- [NEW] On Competing Visions (Kyle Bragger)
- [NEW] What do people see? (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] 3 Measurable Factors of Community Growth (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] Community Metrics: Retention (Alex Hillman)
- Leadership Lessons from Dancing Guy (Derek Sivers)
- Where Trust Comes From (Seth Godin)
- Attributes of Successful Coworking Spaces (Alex Hillman)
- Thoughts on “Scaling” Coworking (Alex Hillman)
- On Monocultural Coworking (Alex Hillman)
- A Roadmap for Community Organization and Mobilization – Harvey Milk (Alex Hillman) In French
- The Importance of Rhythm & Rituals for Coworking Communities (Alex Hillman)
- A Look At Recent Coworking Space Closings (Alex Hillman)
- “We” Opened a Coworking Space (Alex Hillman)
- Sex, Coworking, and Rock n' Roll (Alex Hillman)
- You're Not Listening (Michael Lopp)
- Renters vs. Members (Google Group)
- There's Never Only One Community (Alex Hillman)
- The Farmer Parable (Joel Bennett)
- [NEW] Lessons from Open Source (Charlie Robbins & Alex Hillman)
- Self Regulation & Leadership (Cindy Turner)
- The Problem with Reassurance (Seth Godin)
- Coworking Core Values 1 of 5: Sustainability (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 2 of 5: Accessibility (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 3 of 5: Openness (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 4 of 5: Community (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 5 of 5: Collaboration (Alex Hillman)
- French Translations (Thank you Mutinerie!)
- Brazilian Portuguese Translations - Accessibility, Sustainability, Openness, Collaboration and Community (Thank you Laura Loenert!)
- Risk Management of Bee Hives (Michael O'Malley)
- Coworking Lets Things Happen (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking & Zones of Proximal Development (Alex Hillman)
- A Feeling of Security (Alex Hillman)
- The Gap Between Coworkers and Co-workers isn’t the Hyphen (Alex Hillman)
- How to get work in a coworking space (Alex Hillman)
- A Topology of Needs for Coworking (currently in French, William van den Broek)
Strategy & Innovation
- [NEW] There's no substitute for analog (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] The XY Antipattern (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] "Technical Notes" Whitepaper from EBN.eu
- Why do people love Indy Hall? We asked. They told. (Alex Hillman)
- I don’t think we’re solving a “cubicle problem” (Alex Hillman)
- The importance of a clubhouse (Alex Hillman)
- Institutions are not Designed for Revolutions: On Economic Development and Coworking (Alex Hillman)
- Obvious To You (Derek Sivers)
Some of my favorite books
- Betterness: Economics for Humans by Umair Haque
- The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business by Umair Haque
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- Just Listen: Secrets for Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone by Mark Goulston M.D.
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web by David Weinberger
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Dan Pink
- Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art by Stephen Nachmanovitch
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
- Gennarelli, Vanessa. Coworking Well: Designing for Human Potential and Growth, Harvard, 2012
- Collins, A. Joseph, D., & Bielaczyc, K. (2004). “Design Research: Theoretical and Methodological Issues” The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 13.1, 15-42. https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Coliving%20Research/1466931.pdf?w=5b516756
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience. New York: Harper & Row.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2003). Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning. New York: Viking.
- Dweck, C. (2000). Self-Theories: Their Role in Motivation, Personality, and Development. Psychology Press.
- Edelson, D. C., & Joseph, D. M. “The Interest-Driven Learning Design Framework: Motivating Learning Through Usefulness.” ICLS ‘04 Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Learning Sciences, 166-173.
- Fredrickson, B. L. (2001). “The Role of Positive Emotions in Positive Psychology: the Broaden-and-Build Theory of Positive Emotions.” American Psychologist. 56, 218-226.
- Laginder, A., & Stenøien, J. (2011). “Learning by Interest: Experiences and Commitments in Lives with Dance and Crafts.” Vocations and Learning. 4, 151-167.
- Mueller, C. and Dweck, C. (1998). Praise for Intelligence Can Undermine Children’s Motivation and Performance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 75.1, 33-52.
- Randolph, A. W., & Sashkin, M. (2002). “Can Organizational Empowerment Work in Multinational Settings?” The Academy of Management Executive, 16.1, 102-115. https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Coliving%20Research/4165817.pdf?w=1e0ea3c0
- Resnick, M. (2007). “All I Really Need to Know (About Creative Thinking) I Learned (By Studying How Children Learn) in Kindergarten.” Presented at Creativity & Cognition conference, June 2007. Retrieved from:
- Ross, A. (2004) No-Collar: The Humane Workplace and Its Hidden Costs. Basic Books, New York
- Spinuzzi, C. (2012) Working Alone Together: Coworking as Emergent Collaborative Activity. Journal of Business and Technological Communication, Vol. 26, No. 4: 399-441.
- Spurlin, S. The Rise of Coworking: Positive Psychology, Flow, and Meaningful Work. Unpublished manuscript. Claremont Graduate University.